Oral History Transcript (Print)
Create separate bibliographic records for each format of an oral history: print transcript, digitized version of the print transcript (in CONTENTdm), and digitized sound recording (in CONTENTdm). This is in keeping with University Libraries' policy on materials in multiple formats.
Use this procedure and the print format workform for oral history transcripts in print. If a bibliographic record for the oral history already exists in any format, use appropriate information from that record (summary, biographical note, subject headings, etc.) in the different format record.
What is being cataloged: Print resource, manuscript, unpublished.
- Record Type: Code t = language material, textual, manuscript materials
- ELvl: Code I
- Srce: Code m = monographic
- Lang: Code eng = in English
- BLvl: Code m = monographic
- Conf: Code 0 = not a conference publication
- Biog: Code d = contains biographical information
- Ctry: Code xx = unpublished materials
- Cont: Code m = manuscript materials
- LitF: Code 0 = nonfiction
- Indx: Code 0 = no index
- Desc: Code i = (signifies RDA)
- Fest: Code 0 = not a festschrist
- DtSt: Code s = single year date
- Date: Date 1 = © date on title page verso, or latest date (not the date on the cover or title page, if this is earlier)
007 Physical Description fixed field: Code t = text in $a
040 field: Key in $e rda before $c MUS.
041 Language Codes: Enter language codes as appropriate. If 041 is entered, also enter the corresponding note in 546.
043 Geographic Codes: Enter geographical coverage codes as appropriate.
050 Classification: All oral histories are classed F341.5 .M57 plus the volume number. Part numbers are included in the call number, but not in the 830 series entry. See examples in the catalog shelf list for call numbers F341.5 .M57 vol. 790 and F341.5 .M57 vol. 1143.
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1105
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1043 pt. 45
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1043 pt. 15-C
Legacy records in the catalog have cutter work mark x (.M57x). Do not use .M57x in the call number for new cataloging. Consult the librarian.
100 Interviewee: Enter the name of the person being interviewed with the appropriate relator term.
- 100 1_ Greene, Kathanne W., $e interviewee.
- 100 1_ Simmons, Robert Sledge, $d 1980- $e interviewee.
Use the authorized form of name as given in the name authority record in OCLC, or construct the appropriate name form. Refer author name conflicts and questions to the librarian.
245 Title: Enter the title followed by a comma, then the interview date(s) in $f.
- 245 13 An oral history with ... , $f YYYY Month spelled out DD period
- 245 13 An oral history with Kate Greene, $f 2005 October 5.
- 245 13 An oral history with Joseph Bui, $f 2007 April 18 and 29.
- 245 14 The Holiday Inn oral history project, $f 2011 September-2012 March.
264 Publication Info: Enter copyright date from T.p. verso.
300 Description: Enter the number of leaves or pages. End 300 with terminal punctuation when series entries are present in the record (RDA requirement).
- 300 __ 14 leaves ; $c 28 cm.
- 300 __ 18 pages ; $c 28 cm.
336-338 RDA Fields
- 336 __ text $b txt $2 rdacontent
- 337 __ unmediated $b n $2 rdamedia
- 338 __ volume $b nc $2 rdacarrier
490/830 Series: Enter the series as on the work in 490. Enter the authorized series name in 830.
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program ; $v vol. 123
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series) ; $v vol. 123.
If the series is not present on the work, enter the required 500 note (see below in Notes).
Series with Subseries: Enter the series and subseries as on the work in one 490 field. Enter them separately in two 830 fields. Refer any new subseries to the librarian for authority control.
Volume numbering relates to the series, not the subseries. Part numbers are included in the call number, but not in the 830 series entry. See examples in the catalog shelf list for call number F341.5 .M57 vol. 1043.
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project ; $v vol. 234
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series) ; $v vol. 234.
- 830 _0 Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project. (no volume number)
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. Deepwater Horizon Oil Disaster-Gulf Coast Fisheries Oral History Project ; $v vol. 1043
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series) ; $v vol. 1043.
- 830 _0 Deepwater Horizon Oil Disaster-Gulf Coast Fisheries Oral History Project. (no volume number)
Two forms of 490 entry are seen in the catalog for the Katrina subseries -- with and without square brackets. For a time, Katrina subseries information may not have appeared on the printed transcripts.
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. [Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project] ; $v vol. 345
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series) ; $v vol. 345.
- 830 _0 Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project. (no volume number)
5xx Notes: Include 5xx notes in the prescribed order. Use standard text provided on the workform for some notes. Compose sentences for 545 Biographical and 520 Summary notes, using objective language and avoiding colloquial or trendy wording except when judged to be particularly useful.
- Languages (when 041 is entered)
- 546 __ In English and Vietnamese.
- Sound recordings
- 500 __ Sound recordings held in University Archives.
- Interview information
- 500 __ Interview recorded April 18, 2007, by Linda VanZandt.
- 500 __ Interview recorded April 21 and 29, 2007, by Bethany Mauer.
- 500 __ Interview recorded July 18-19, 2007, by Sheena Barnett and Kate Doyle.
- 500 __ Interview recorded September 11, 2011 and March 10-16, 2012, by Ross Walton.
- Note in lieu of 490
- 500 __ Forms part of: Civil Rights Documentation Project of the Mississippi Oral History Program.
- Sound recording log is present
- 500 __ Transcript includes sound recording log.
- 506 __ Restrictions: no unauthorized reproduction or publication.
- Copyright information
- 540 __ Copyright held by the Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage, The University of Southern Mississippi.
- Biographical Note: Compose a paragraph from information provided on a biographical page or within the transcript. See bib record examples.
- Summary Note: Compose a paragraph from information gleaned from the transcript. Avoid colloquial, trendy, or non-objective language. See bib record examples.
6xx Subject Headings
- Interviewee: Enter the name of the person being interviewed with form subdivision $v Interviews.
- 600 10 Brown, Myrtle $v Interviews.
- 600 10 Lang, Geraldine $v Interviews.
- 600 10 Greene, Kathanne W., $v Interviews.
- 600 10 Simmons, Robert Sledge, $d 1980- $v Interviews.
- Corporate names: Enter corporate names for organizations or entities with significant treatment in the oral history.
- 610 20 First Baptist Church (Gulfport, Miss.)
- 610 20 University of Southern Mississippi.
- 610 20 Boat People S.O.S.
- Interviewee (class of person): Enter an appropriate topical heading for the class of person being interviewed with appropriate subdivision terms.
- 650 _0 College teachers $z Mississippi $v Interviews.
- 650 _0 College students $z Mississippi $z Hattiesburg $v Interviews.
- Topics: Enter as appropriate with subdivision terms to represent the content of the oral history.
- 650 _0 Disaster victims $z Mississippi $z Gulf Coast.
- 650 _0 Disaster relief $z Mississippi $z Gulf Coast.
- 650 _0 Hurricane Katrina, 2005 $v Personal narratives.
- 650 _0 Hurricanes $z Mississippi $z Gulf Coast.
- Geographical headings: Enter as appropriate with subdivision terms to represent geographical coverage.
- 651 _0 Bay Saint Louis (Miss.) $x History.
- 651 _0 New Orleans (La.) $x History.
- 651 _0 Mississippi $x History $y 20th century.
- 651 _0 Mississippi $x History $y 21st century.
700 Added Entry
- Interviewer/Translator: Enter the name(s) with the appropriate relator term.
- 700 1_ VanZandt, Linda, $e interviewer.
- 700 1_ Nguyen, Khai, $e translator.
For interviewer names, see here. Refer interviewer name conflicts to the librarian.
830 Series. See above: 490/830 Series.
Export and Processing
Add the 949 bib and item record fields via macro from the 949 Function Keys in Connexion table.
- Mississippiana Collection
- Non-circulating book
- Barcode on lower left front (same as for a circulating book)
- Spine label (not acid free slip) with abbreviation Miss at the top of the label
- Spine label placement: upper left front
Linda Ginn: January 2015