Cataloging of Online Oral Histories
In accordance with USM Libraries' policy on materials in multiple formats, we will create a separate record for oral histories in electronic format, using the following guidelines:
1. Call up the record for the print oral history in OCLC. Do a NEW command. Retain all the information on the print record except as noted below.
2. In creating the record, follow the LC/OCLC guidelines for coding electronic resources (http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/ldr06guide.html, http://www.oclc.org/connexion/documentation/type.htm ): since the work being cataloged is an electronic representation of a print resource, code the Type fixed field as if you were cataloging the print. For oral histories, use type t. The fixed field will look the same as it does for the print version, except that the encoding level will be K and Form will be coded s for remote access.
3. Add a 006 field for the electronic aspects of the title. Type should be coded m; File should be coded d.
4. Add a 007 for the "physical description" of the electronic resource:
$a c, computer file
$b r, remote access
$d color characteristics. This may vary; see Bib Formats & Standards for a list of
$e dimensions. Use n for not applicable.
$f sound. Leave blank if there are no sound files; use a if there is sound.
$g image bit depth. Use three dashes.
$h file formats. a for single format (text only), m for multiple (sound, images, text)
$i quality assurance targets. Use u.
$j antecedent. a=digitized from original; may vary
$k compression. Use u.
$l reformatting quality. Use u.
5. The call number (in an 090 field) should be the same as for the print resource, with (Online) added at the end.
6. After subfield a of the 245, add the GMD "electronic resource." If there are dates in $f of the 245, the GMD comes before them.
An oral history with James L. Smith $h [electronic resource], $f 1998 June 1.
7. 300 field: 1 electronic text.
8. Add two 538 fields, one for system requirements and one for mode of access.
538 System requirements: Browser with Internet connectivity; sound card and
speakers required for audio files. [if title has a sound component]
538 Mode of access: World Wide Web.
9. Add a note stating the source of title and the date viewed.
500 Title from title screen, viewed Sept. 22, 2007.
10. If the oral history includes sound files, add a note:
500 Includes sound clips.
11. Add a 506 note on use restrictions.
506 Restrictions: no unauthorized reproduction or publication.
12. Add a 530 note to indicate other formats available.
530 Online version of print transcript.
13. 856: add the URL. Sample:
856 40 $u Barnes in ContentDM $z Click here to view
14. Add the 949 field for NETWORK.
15. Check your work before exporting to the NETWORK destination.
kw rev 7/08