Oral History Transcript (Online)
Create separate bibliographic records for each format of an oral history: print transcript, digitized/online version of the print transcript (in CONTENTdm), and digitized sound recording (in CONTENTdm). This is in keeping with University Libraries’ policy on materials in multiple formats.
Use this procedure and the online format workform for digitized oral history transcripts. If a bibliographic record for the oral history already exists in any format, use appropriate information from that record (summary, biographical note, subject headings, etc.) in the different format record.
What is being cataloged: Electronic version of a print resource. Coding reflects the source: print resource, manuscript, unpublished. Enter one 006 and one 007 field.
- Record Type: Code t = language material, textual, manuscript materials
- ELvl: Code I
- Srce: Code d
- Lang: Code eng
- BLvl: Code m = monographic
- Form: Code o = online
- Conf: Code 0 = not a conference publication
- Biog: Code d = contains biographical information
- Ctry: Code xx = unpublished
- LitF: Code 0 = nonfiction
- Indx: Code 0 = no index
- Desc: Code i (signifies RDA)
- Fest: Code 0 = not a festschrift
- DtSt: Code s = single year date
- Date: Date 1 = year of digitization
006 Additional Material Characteristics fixed field
- 006 __ m o d (Characters 00-09 without subfield delimiters/codes)
- 00 m = computer file/electronic resource
- 06 o = online
- 09 d = document
007 Physical Description fixed field
- 007 __ c $b r $d c $e n $g --- $h a $i u $j a $k u $l u
- $a c = electronic resource
- $b r = remote
- $d c = color (if multicolored, otherwise select the appropriate code)
- $e n = dimensions N/A
- $f [do not code for sound]
- $g --- = image bit depth (3 hyphens)
- $h a = one file format (or select the appropriate code)
- $i u = unknown quality assurance target
- $j a = file reproduced from original
- $k u = unknown level of compression
- $l u = unknown reformatting quality
040 field: Key in $e rda before $c MUS.
041 Language Codes: Enter language codes as appropriate. If 041 is entered, also enter the corresponding note in 546.
043 Geographic Codes: Enter geographical coverage codes as appropriate.
050 Classification: All oral histories are classed F341.5 .M57 plus the volume number. Online transcripts have the workmark (Online).
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 731 (Online)
Part numbers are included after the volume number in this field, but not in the 830 series entry. See examples in the catalog shelf list for F341.5 .M57 vol. 1043.
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1105
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1043 pt. 45
- 050 _4 F341.5 $b .M57 vol. 1043 pt. 15-C
Legacy records in the catalog have cutter work mark x (.M57x). Do not use .M57x in the call number for new cataloging. Consult the librarian.
100 Interviewee: Enter the name of the person being interviewed with the appropriate relator term.
- 100 1_ Greene, Kathanne W., $e interviewee.
- 100 1_ Simmons, Robert Sledge, $d 1980- $e interviewee.
Use the authorized form of name as given in the name authority record in OCLC, or construct the appropriate name form. Refer author name conflicts to the librarian for resolution.
245 Title: Enter the title followed by a comma, then the interview date(s) in $f. Enter 245 $h before export from Connexion to the library catalog.
- 245 13 An oral history with Kate Greene, $f 2005 October 5.
- 245 13 An oral history with Kate Greene $h [electronic resource], $f 2005 October 5.
264 Publication Info: Enter copyright date from T.p. verso.
300 Description: Enter the extent. End 300 with terminal punctuation when series entries are present in the record (RDA requirement).
- 300 __ 1 electronic text.
336-338 RDA Fields
- 336 __ text $b txt $2 rdacontent
- 337 __ computer $b c $2 rdamedia
- 338 __ online resource $b cr $2 rdacarrier
490/830 Series: Enter the series as on the work in 490. Enter the authorized series name in 830. Note the modification of the series qualifier in 830 (Series : Online).
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program ; $v vol. 123
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series : Online) ; $v vol. 123.
If the series is not present on the work, enter the required 500 note (see below in Notes).
Series with Subseries: Enter the series and subseries as on the work in one 490 field. Enter them separately in two 830 fields. Refer any new subseries to the librarian for authority control.
Volume numbering relates to the series, not the subseries. Part numbers are included in the call number, but not in the 830 series entry. See examples in the catalog shelf list for call number F341.5 .M57 vol. 1043.
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project ; $v vol. 234
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series : Online) ; $v vol. 234.
- 830 _0 Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project. (no volume number)
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. Deepwater Horizon Oil Disaster-Gulf Coast Fisheries Oral History Project ; $v vol. 1043
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series : Online) ; $v vol. 1043.
- 830 _0 Deepwater Horizon Oil Disaster-Gulf Coast Fisheries Oral History Project. (no volume number)
Two forms of 490 entry are seen in the catalog for the Katrina subseries -- with and without square brackets. For a time, Katrina subseries information may not have appeared on the printed transcripts.
- 490 1_ Mississippi Oral History Program. [Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project] ; $v vol. 345
- 830 _0 Mississippi Oral History Program of the University of Southern Mississippi (Series : Online) ; $v vol. 345.
- 830 _0 Hurricane Katrina Oral History Project. (no volume number)
5xx Notes: Include 5xx notes in the prescribed order as shown below. Use standard text provided on the workform for some notes. Compose sentences for 545 Biographical and 520 Summary notes, using objective language and avoiding colloquial or trendy wording except when judged to be particularly useful.
- System requirements
- 538 __ System requirements: Browser with Internet connectivity.
- Mode of access
- 538 __ Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Languages (when 041 is entered)
- 546 __ In English and Vietnamese.
- Source of title
- 500 __ Title from title screen, viewed Sept. 22, 2007.
- Interview information
- 500 __ Interview recorded April 18, 2007, by Linda VanZandt.
- 500 __ Interview recorded April 21 and 29, 2007, by Bethany Mauer.
- 500 __ Interview recorded July 18-19, 2007, by Sheena Barnett and Kate Doyle.
- 500 __ Interview recorded September 11, 2011 and March 10-16, 2012, by Ross Walton.
- Note in lieu of 490
- 500 __ Forms part of: Civil Rights Documentation Project of the Mississippi Oral History Program.
- Sound recordings
- 500 __ Sound recordings held in University Archives.
- Sound recording log present?
- 500 __ Transcript includes sound recording log.
- 506 __ Restrictions: no unauthorized reproduction or publication.
- Type of Computer File/Data Note
- Additional Physical Form
- 530 __ Digital reproduction of a print resource.
- Copyright information
- 540 __ Copyright held by the Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage, The University of Southern Mississippi.
- Biographical Note: Compose a paragraph from information provided on a biographical page or within the transcript. See bib record examples.
- Summary Note: Compose a paragraph from information gleaned from the transcript. Avoid colloquial, trendy, or non-objective language. See bib record examples.
856 Electronic Location/Access
The URL to online oral history records is the link to the metadata record in ContentDM. The URL to ContentDM records can be placed in the OCLC copies of bib records.
- 856 40 $u [Access information] $z Click here to view this online resource
Export and Processing
Add 949 fields for bib and item records via macro prior to exporting to the library catalog.
- Bib record macro: 949 __ $a *rces=b;ov=x;bn=mt;b2=s
- Location code bn=mt (USM Digital Collections)
- Material type code b2=s (E-resource)
- Item record macro: 949 _1 $c $z 050 $g $l mtud $n [initials/date] $n OCLC# $p $50.00 $s - $t 24
- Location = mtud
- Item type = 24 Online Resource
- Status = - Available
- Price = default
No other processing is required.
Linda Ginn: January 2015