This introductory MARC 21 Tutorial is divided into three lessons:
- What Does MARC Mean?
- MARC 21 Terms
- Rules and Structures
Each lesson consists of multiple learning units and quizzes. Preceding each lesson is an outline page describing the learning objectives of that section. To assist your learning, a glossary of the common cataloging and MARC terms is appended to the end of Tutorial and hyperlinked to most cataloging terms appearing in each unit. The front page provides a content table where each topic can be accessed directly. The Related Sites on the front page, which include MARC 21, Understanding MARC, Tag of The Month, The Follett Neighborhood and more, provide most updated documentation on MARC 21 format, as well as MARC cataloging and retrieval practice. We strongly recommend that you visit these sites for additional information.
About the navigation:
- Use the left- and right-arrow buttons ( / ) on the top to go to the next or previous page.
- The two double-arrows ( / ) on the bottom of each page give you the further options to either go back to Table of Contents or jump to the next lesson. The two single arrows ( / ) lead either to the next or previous section.
- The Glossary can be accessed by either clicking the underlined terms, or at Table of Contents on the front page.
- Internet Explorer 5+ / Netscape 4+ /Mozilla 1.0
- A 17" color monitor with minimum 800 x 600 screen resolution is strongly recommended for the optimal display
To use Netscape version, click here.
If you have any comments or questions in regard to the tutorial, MARC 21, or general cataloging, please contact us anytime by clicking the eTutor link on the bottom of each page. We will respond to your comments and/or answer your questions as soon as possible.