The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Historical Manuscripts Home
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject


Collection Title: Methodist Hospital/Wesley Medical Center Collection

Accession Number: AM06-67

Dates: Circa 1921 - 2001

Volume: 27 cubic feet

Given By: Katherine Pittman

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

A collection of materials that document the history and activities of the Methodist Hospital/Wesley Medical Center through its various incarnations. The facility was established in 1900, as Ross Sanitarium and later operated as the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Employees Hospital, Hattiesburg Hospital, King’s Daughter’s Hospital, and Methodist Hospital. In 1997 it acquired its current name, Wesley Medical Center. The hospital was located at the end of Bay Street in Southeast Hattiesburg until 1980, when it was relocated to Highway 98 in West Hattiesburg. The collection includes correspondence, photographs, slides, newsletters, advertisements, press releases, brochures, manuals and other in-house publications, birth announcements, business summaries, annual reports, scrapbooks, and various subject files. Photographs portray hospital personnel, hospital activities, and community personalities. Other items of interest are a 1928-1929 Methodist Hospital Billing Ledger, 100th anniversary materials, and a student nurse’s uniform from the 1950s.

Accession Number: AM07-14

Dates: 1955; 1958

Volume: 2 items

Given By: Frankie Cameron Hall

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

1.  One copy of the Mississippi Baptist Hospital newsletter, The Reflector (April 1958).  This issue relates the transfer of student nurses from the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing in Hattiesburg, to the Gilfoy School of Nursing at Mississippi Baptist Hospital in Jackson. 

2.  One copy of Laboratory Manual of Chemistry, Third Edition (1955), used by student nurse, Miss Frankie Cameron.


Accession Number: AM07-34

Dates: undated

Volume: 1 item

Given By: Frankie Cameron Hall

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

One solid white nurse’s cap.

 


Created by: Yvonne Arnold
Prepared and maintained by
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries Special Collections
http://www.lib.usm.edu/spcol/index.php
118 College Drive #5148   Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148

Please send comments or questions to Ask-a-Librarian
Revised: October 15, 2007