The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject
Overview of the Collection
Creator: East Sixth Street U. S. O. Club, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Collection Number: M432
Title: East Sixth Street U. S. O. Club Souvenir Booklet
Dates: circa 1945; 1955
Quantity: 1 item
A booklet of photographic images and historical information regarding
the services and activities of a U. S. O. Club for African American servicemen
and their families during World
The East Sixth Street United Services Organization (U.S.O) Club was opened March 22, 1942, at 305 East Sixth Street, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, primarily to serve the needs of African American service men and women stationed at Camp Shelby, just south of Hattiesburg. At that time, the United States Military was racially segregated, as were the Southern states known as “The Deep South.”
Among the services offered by the club were a library, a writing room, dark room equipment, a tailoring service, and access to religious literature. The staff organized social events such as formal dances, and provided a snack bar. Other social events included weddings and the Eureka High School junior and senior proms. In short, the organization billed itself as “The Soldiers Home Away From Home.” Among the club’s community and patriotic services were Red Cross drives, War Bond drives, and the Annual Negro Health Week Program.
In recent years, the
building at 305 East Sixth Street has become the N. R. Burger Center,
and it houses the African American Military History Museum.
Contents of the Collection.
This eighteen-page document is a photocopy of the original souvenir booklet published by the East Sixth Street U. S. O. Club in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The booklet contains photographs of the club’s officers, committee members, and volunteers, as well as a variety of social functions. Also pictured are several musical groups, including the U. S. O. Octet, the U. S. O. Chorus, and Al Lundy and His Jive Bombers. Organizations portrayed are the Girls Service Organization and the Army Wives Club. In addition, there are two photographs taken at the wedding of First Sergeant and Mrs. William Brown. The final item in the booklet is a program from the funeral service of Mrs. Viola W. Clark, dated May 15, 1955. Mrs. Clark’s connection with the East Sixth Street U. S. O. is unclear.
Photocopied from the Papers of Daisy Harris Wade (Box 2, Folder 11) on August 18, 2000.
Restrictions Governing Access:
No restrictions. Open for research.
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Preferred Citation Method:
Item, Title of Collection, McCain Library and Archives, The University of Southern Mississippi.
Language of Materials:
Processed by Catherine Bowers.