The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Historical Manuscripts Home
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject


Collection Title: Methodist Hospital Historical Collection

Collection Number: M424

Dates: 1915-1997

Volume: .5 cu. ft.

Provenance: Materials in this collection were donated by Ms. Ruby Cook and Mrs. Allene Findley in 1999 and 2004.

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Biographical/Historical Sketch:

The Methodist Hospital of Hattiesburg, Mississippi has gone through several incarnations. Established by Dr. T.E. Ross as Ross Sanitarium in 1900, the hospital was a first for Hattiesburg. In 1903 it became the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad Employees Hospital, and a training school for nurses was established there in 1906. In the years following, the hospital was also called Hattiesburg Hospital (1908) and King's Daughter's Hospital (1918), until 1921 when the Methodist Conference of Mississippi obtained it and named it Methodist Hospital of Hattiesburg. In 1980, Methodist Hospital moved from its original location on Bay Street in the downtown area, to Highway 98 West.

The Methodist Hospital founded the Institute for Wellness and Sports Medicine in 1986, the first hospital-based wellness facility in Mississippi. Finally, in 1997 it became known as Wesley Medical Center.

Sources:

Case file
Contents of the collection
http://www.wesley.com/about/about.htm
McCarty, Kenneth G. Hattiesburg, a pictorial history. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1982.


Scope and Content:

This collection contains materials relating to the Methodist Hospital in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. There are photographs and newspaper clippings about the Methodist Hospital and its School of Nursing that relate to some of the student nurses who were trained there. There is also an article from the August 2003 issue of Journal MSMA, about the former Ross Sanitarium/Gulf & Ship Island Railroad Employees Hospital and their successor, the Methodist Hospital. The article was written by Lucius Lampton, MD, and consists of a brief historical sketch about the hospitals. The collection also includes photographs, certificates, and other materials pertaining to the nursing career of Mrs. Pauline Elizabeth Garraway Conn.

Related Collections:

M246 Hattiesburg Historical Photograph Collection
M314 Cargill-Powers Photograph Collection


M424
Methodist Hospital Historical Collection
Box and Folder List

Box 1    
  Folder 1 Certificate from Mississippi Nurses Association, District Seven for Mrs. Pauline Garraway Conn(ca.1950s-1960s)
  Folder 2 Grade Report of Pauline Elizabeth Garraway (ca. 1927)
  Folder 3 Journal Article: Images of Mississippi Medicine. Journal MSMA, Sept. 2003, Vol. 44, No. 9, page 314. (Aug. 2003)
  Folder 4 Mississippi State Nurses' Association Charter and By-Laws (1939)
  Folder 5 News Clippings (Feb. 23 and Aug. 23, 1997)
  Folder 6 Nurses' Medical and Fever Charts (ca. 1937)
  Folder 7 Photographs
Box 2    
  Item 1 Pauline Elizabeth Garraway Conn's Nurses' Cap (ca. 1970s)
Oversize Materials in Mapcase
  Item 1 Photograph: Panorama of Methodist Hospital Nursing Students Posed in Three Rows (ca. 1926)
  Item 2 Photograph: Panorama of Methodist Hospital Nursing Students Posed in a Single Line, With Hands on Each Other's Waists (ca. 1926)
  Item 3 Photograph: Panorama of Methodist Hospital Nurses (July 30, 1926)
  Item 4 Registered Nurse Certificate from Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Pauline Elizabeth Garraway (July 5, 1927)
  Item 5 Newspaper Article: "In Memory: After 50 Years of Service, Miss Dovie Adams Retires" (Hattiesburg American, November 8, 1992)
  Item 6 Diploma from Methodist Hospital Training School for Nurses for Pauline Elizabeth Garraway (July 5, 1927)

 

M 424
Methodist Hospital Historical Collection
Photograph Log

M424-1 Miss Dovie Adams
  3 ½” x 5” B &W ca. 1960s-1970s
  Miss Adams began her employment at the Methodist Hospital in 1929 as night supervisor. She held many positions, ending as Director of Nursing Services upon her retirement in 1977.
(Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-2 (L to R): Miss Dovie Adams and Ms. Pauline Garraway Conn, Hattiesburg
  3 ½” x 5” B &W ca. 1960s-1970s
  (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-3 Group of nursing students, Hattiesburg
  4” x 12” B &W ca. early 1900s
  (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-4 Hattiesburg Hospital
  8” x 10” B &W 1915
  (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-5 Methodist Hospital, Hattiesburg
  8” x 10” B & W 1925
  (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-6 Group of graduates making sponges, Hattiesburg
  8” x 10” B &W 1943
  (L to R): Lois Milling Sarphie, Frances Russell, Katherine Cargill-Chiles, Mary Smith, Mary O. Lingle, and Peggy Verligar (?) (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-7 Group of nursing graduates, Hattiesburg
  8” x 10” B &W Feb. 3, 1950
  Front Row (L to R): Katie M. Craft Bryant, Dorothy McLemore Morgan, Helen Rowell Walker (Dec.), Ruby Simons Cook; Second Row (L to R): Lena P. Kelly Croft, Margie McDonald Watkins, Reba Wheeles Winster (Dec.), Reba Cooley Muier (Dec.) (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-8 Methodist Hospital, Hattiesburg
  8” x 8 ½” Color ca. 1990s
  (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M424-9 Panorama of Methodist Hospital nursing students posed in three rows (ca. 1926)
  7 ½” x 20” B &W ca. 1926
  (Oversize Folder)
   
M424-10 Panorama of Methodist Hospital nursing students posed in a single line, with hands on each other's waists
  8” x 20” B &W ca. 1926
  (Oversize Folder)
   
M424-11 Panorama of Methodist Hospital Nurses
  8” x 30” B &W July 30, 1926
  (Oversize Folder)

Accession Number: AM06-44

Dates: ca. early 1900s - 2000

Volume: 1.3 cu. ft.

Provenance: Given by Mrs. Betty Hayman, delivered by Mr. and Mrs. B. M. Cook

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

Photographs, scrapbooks, publications, reports and other materials documenting activities and services of the Methodist Hospital (now Wesley Medical Center) in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Included are materials regarding the Methodist Hospital Schools of Nursing and Practical Nursing, the Pearl River Junior College School of Practical Nursing: Methodist Hospital Branch, and a variety of materials relating to the nursing profession in Mississippi and in general. A detailed Box and Folder List is attached hereto.

AM06-44
Methodist Hospital Historical Collection
Box and Folder List


Box 1  
  Methodist Hospital School of Nursing: Annual Report (1965-1966, 2 copies)
  Methodist Hospital School of Nursing: Faculty Handbook (1966)
  Methodist Hospital School of Nursing: Report (1967)
  Methodist Hospital School of Nursing: Statistics (1961-1970)
  Methodist Hospital School of Nursing: Survey (Aug. 1960)
  Practical Nursing School: Advisory Committee (undated)
  Practical Nursing School: Bylaws of the Mississippi Federation of Licensed Practical Nurses, Inc. (1968)
  Practical Nursing School: Commencement Materials (1969; 1972)
  Practical Nursing School: Course Outlines (undated)
  Practical Nursing School: Curriculum Materials (1968)
  Practical Nursing School: Handbook (1970)
  Practical Nursing School: Handbook (undated)
  Practical Nursing School: Photographs (ca. 1960s – 1970s)
  Practical Nursing School: Standards (April 1960)
  Practical Nursing School: Syllabus (1968-1969 session)
   
Box 2  
  Pearl River Junior College School of Practical Nursing: Yearbook, “Cap and Candle”
(1973)
  Pearl River Junior College School of Practical Nursing: Yearbook, “Cap and Candle” (1974)
  Pearl River Junior College School of Practical Nursing: Yearbook, “Cap and Candle” (1975)
  Pearl River Junior College School of Practical Nursing: Yearbook, “Cap and Candle” (1976, 2 copies)
  Commemorative Pamphlet: “Commitment to Life” (1997)
  Methodist Hospital Nurses Reunion (Aug. 23, 1997)
  Photographs (ca. 1916-1960s)
  Rules and Regulations for Accreditation of Mississippi Schools of Nursing (1956)
  Struggles & Triumphs: The Story of Mississippi Nurses, 1800-1950, by Linda E. Sabin (1998)
  Mobile Infirmary School of Nursing: Student Handbook (1961)
   
Box 3 (Oversize Materials)
  Scrapbook (black binder):  
    The first part is devoted to Mrs. Jennie Quinn Cameron, who
came to Hattiesburg in 1910, as Director of Nurses’ Training
School. The latter portion relates to the general history of
the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing (ca. 1955-1968)
  Scrapbook (blue binder):  
    Materials relating primarily to Methodist Hospital Nurses
Reunions (1997-2000)
  Photograph:  
    Kings Daughters Hospital (later, Methodist Hospital) Nurses,
Class of 1923
  Photograph:  
    Framed photograph of Mrs. Jennie Quinn Cameron and three of her student nurses (1916)
  Document:  
    “A Nurse’s Prayer of compassion (undated – 3 copies)

 


Accession Number: AM06-47

Dates: 1951; 2005

Volume: 8 items

Provenance: Given by Dot Wood

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Form of Material:

1. Six black and white photographs portraying members of the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1951.

2. A program for the funeral service of Katie Marie Craft Bryant, a graduate of the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1950. (November 16, 2005)

3. A handwritten letter from Katie Bryant’s family to the alumni of the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing, to be read at the 17th annual alumni reunion. (2006)



Created by: Stacey Mallett
Prepared and maintained by
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries Special Collections
http://www.lib.usm.edu/spcol/index.php
118 College Drive #5148   Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148

Please send comments or questions to Ask-a-Librarian
Revised: April 10, 2006