The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject
Collection Title: Recollections of the Sanatorium, by Marie Gertrude Butler
Collection Number: M423
Volume: 1 folder
The Mississippi Tuberculosis Sanatorium was founded in 1916 by the Mississippi State legislature., and admitted its first patients on February 4, 1918. The facility was located on Highway 49, three miles North of Magee, Mississippi. Dr. Henry Boswell was the first Superintendent of the Sanatorium and remained so for the next forty years.
The Sanatorium originally housed all the Caucasian patients in the “white infirmary” and all the African-American patients in the “black infirmary.” This changed, when on April 21, 1968, The Mississippi State Board of Health insisted that all health facilities comply with the civil rights legislation. The Sanatorium continued to be a forerunner in providing treatment to Tuberculosis patients. Other facilities eventually opened up in neighboring areas.
In 1976, The Mississippi Tuberculosis Sanatorium was transformed into The Boswell Regional Center. It now provides treatment for Mississippians with disabilities.
Recollections of the Sanatorium
The collection consists of a velo-bound booklet entitled Recollections of the Sanatorium written by Marie Gertrude Butler. No information is available regarding the author.
The booklet is a year-by-year account of the developments of The Mississippi Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Magee Mississippi from its inception until the year 1976. In addition, “The Supplement” at the back of the booklet includes a listing of staff who worked for many years at the Sanatorium, as well as anecdotal reminiscences regarding several staff members.
This collection would
offer much insight to anyone wishing to learn about the history of The
Mississippi Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Figured centrally in much of the
writing is Dr. Henry Boswell, the first Superintendent of the Sanatorium,
for whom the later Boswell Regional Center is named.