The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Historical Manuscripts Home
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject


Photograph Log

Collection Name: Hattiesburg Historical Photographs

Collection Number: M246

Copyright: This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

For a finding aid for the entire collection, please click here .

Please note: This is part 1 of 3 of the Hattiesburg Historical Photograph Log.
Go to part 2. Go to part 3.

Photograph Log

Photographs M246-1 to M246-150
M246-1 Large Virgin Pine Tree near Hattiesburg
  8X10 B&W 1904
  Mr. Monroe Lott and Mr. Everett Lott with a large virgin pine tree cut in Lamar County for J. J. Newman Lumber Company. A log from it won a steam locomotive as a prize at the 1904 World’s Fair. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-2 Logging Scene near Hattiesburg, Mississippi
  3 X 4 B&W ca. 1900
  Large group of cattle amidst trees, overseen by riders on horseback.
(Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-3 Eight Wheel Log Wagon
  4 X 6 B&W Undated
  Oxen-drawn, eight wheel log wagon with an unidentified person.
(Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-4 Unidentified Loggers at Work
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  Several men with saws amidst large piles of logs. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-5 Temple Hardware
  8 X 10 B&W ca. 1900
  Temple Hardware store, corner of Main and Pine Streets, with men and children posed in front. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-6 Carrying Cotton to Market
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  A large oxen-pulled wagon with 14 men posing in wagon for photograph. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-7 Logging Scene near Hattiesburg, Mississippi
  8 X 10 B&W Undated
  Scene of a team of oxen pulling an 8-wheel wagon laden with six large logs in the forest. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-8 J. J. Newman Lumber Company: Bird's Eye View
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  An aerial view of The J. J. Newman Lumber Company in Hattiesburg, depicting a large factory with smoke stacks, encircled by a flowing river delivering logs. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-9 Watkins Machine and Foundry Company
  5 X 6 B&W Undated
 

Photograph of Watkins Machine and Foundry Company located on Mobile and 2nd Streets. Twelve men pose beside a railroad or trolley car in front of the building. A sign on the front reads “Locomotive & Sawmill Machinery Repaired.” (Box 1, Folder 1)

   
M246-10 Clyde Two-Line Skidder at work
  5X 7 B&W Undated
  Photograph of a Clyde two-line skidder machine operating in an area of cleared forest. This machine could drag logs to the railhead from half a mile away. (Box 1, Folder 1)
   
M246-11 Employees, Directors, and Officers of the National Bank of Commerce
  5 X 7 B&W 1907
  Photograph of 15 men and one woman in front of the National Bank of Commerce in Hattiesburg. Those in the photo are identified in Hattiesburg: A Pictorial History, page 22. (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-12 National Bank of Commerce
  5 X 7 B&W 1907
  Interior view of the National Bank of Commerce featuring several men and a young boy conducting transactions at service windows.
(Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-13 People’s Bank
  5 X 7 B&W 1905-1907
  Front façade of the People’s Bank located on Mobile Street in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The bank was owned and operated by African-Americans.
(Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-14 Hattiesburg Grocery Company
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1900
  Photograph of Hattiesburg Grocery Company on Second Street, with several men standing on the front porch, and another pulled up front in a horse and buggy. (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-15 Limbaugh & Price Fancy Groceries
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1900
  The Limbaugh & Price Store was located on 4th Street. Several horse and ox-drawn wagons, and one horse-drawn buggy are pictured in front of the store, while several men are crowded on the front porch. (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-16 Odd Fellows Convention
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1904
  Photograph of the elaborately decorated four-story Odd Fellows Hall, with banners reading “Welcome Brothers” and a flag that reads “I.O.O.F. Grand Lodge Mississippi.” (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-17 Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern Railroad Locomotive
  4 X 2 B&W Undated
  Photograph of steam locomotive number 300, belonging to the Bonhomie and Hattiesburg Southern Railroad. (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-18 Hotel Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W 1906
  Photograph of the large Hotel Hattiesburg on the corner of Mobile and Pine Streets. (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-19 Front Street Looking South from the Palace Restaurant
  5 X 9 B&W ca. 1904
  Photograph of an unpaved Front Street lined with buildings and shops on both sides. Dozens of people are in the streets and on the sidewalks.
(Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-20 Hotel Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  Artist’s depiction of the Hotel Hattiesburg. The inscription at the bottom of the photograph reads “The Hotel Hattiesburg, Great Southern Hotel Co., Props. George Clark, General Manager, Barnard Chotard, Resident Manager.” (Box 1, Folder 2)
   
M246-21 Hotel Hattiesburg Opening Banquet
  5 X 7 B&W 1906
  Twenty-two men seated at a large table enjoy the banquet celebrating the opening of the Hotel Hattiesburg. Among the attendees were E. E. Conner, Dr. T. E. Ross, Sr., Herman Katz, Dr. Rush, Emmett McInnis, and Virgil Jones. (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-22 Hotel Hattiesburg Opening Day Program
  5 X 7 B&W 1906
  Lovely twentieth century decoration around a portrait of Captain J. T. Jones. Program cover reads: “Banquet tendered by the Commercial Club of Hattiesburg, Miss. to Captain J. T. Jones at the opening of the Hotel Hattiesburg on Wednesday November the twenty-first, nineteen hundred and six.” (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-23 Menu from the Banquet Celebrating the Opening of The Hotel Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W 1906
  Menu listing southern delicacies served to guests the night of the opening of the Hotel Hattiesburg . (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-24

Hotel Hattiesburg Grand Opening Musical Program

  5 X 4 B&W 1906
  Musical program performed by the Great Southern Hotel Orchestra for the opening of the Hotel Hattiesburg. (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-25 Hotel Hattiesburg Opening: List of Toasts
  5 X 5 B&W 1906
  List of toasts and toast makers, led by J. P. Carter, toastmaster.
(Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-26 Klondyke Hotel
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  nterior view of the front desk of the old Klondkye Hotel, later known as the Leaf Hotel. (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-27 Main Street, Looking East
  3X4, 5X8, 8X10 B&W 1906
  (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-28 Pine Street, Looking East from Main Street
  4 X 7 B&W ca. early 1900s
  (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-29

Main Street

  8 X 10 B&W ca. 1912
  View of Main Street, looking north. (Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-30

Main Street

  6 X 9 B&W 1904
  Bustling street scene, with crowds and horse-drawn wagons.
(Box 1, Folder 3)
   
M246-31 Kennedy Building and Citizens Bank Building
  5 X 7 B&W 1906
  The Kennedy Building, home of Kennedy and Batson Real Estate, and Hayes and Field Drug and Book Store, is on the left. The building on the right is Citizens Bank, on the southwest corner of Main and Front Streets in Hattiesburg. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-32 Fire near Corner of Front and Main Streets
  5 X 7 B&W 1907
  Fire engulfs the Kennedy Building on Main Street. Dozens of people gather to watch it being fought by firemen.(Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-33 Kennedy Building and Citizens Bank after 1907 Fire.
  5 X 7 B&W 1907
  (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-34 Flood near J. J. Newman Lumber Company
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1900
  Photograph of severe flooding near the J. J. Newman Lumber Company, Hattiesburg, Mississippi. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-35 Flood on Short Bay Street and River Avenue
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1900
  Photo of severe flooding of the Short Bay Street and River Avenue area. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-36 Main Street in Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1907
  This postcard image portrays the west side of Main Street, between Front and Pine Streets. Business establishments pictured are the Davidson Company, Conner Shoe Company, First National Bank of Commerce, and The Carter Building. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-37 Yellow Pine Drug Store
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1907
  nterior view of the Yellow Pine Drug Store, corner of Pine and Mobile Streets, with three gentlemen at the soda fountain counter.
(Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-38 Bird's Eye View of Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W 1908
  Aerial view of Hattiesburg, looking north on Main Street from Buschman Street. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246- 39 Meridian Fertilizer Factory
  2 X 6 ½ B&W Undated
  The Meridian Fertilizer Factory, located on East 7th Street in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   
M246-40 O’Ferrall’s Store Fourth of July Float
  5 X 7 B&W July 4,1906
  O’Ferrall’s horse-drawn float was the winning entry in Hattiesburg's 1906 Fourth of July parade. The float is parked in front of O’Ferrall’s Ladies Furnishings. (Box 1, Folder 4)
   

M246-41

Railroad Street, between Main and Short Streets

  3 ½ X 6 ½ B&W ca. 1910
  Pictured are the Hotel Weidmann, D. B. Henley Photo Studio, and the Century Drug Store. D. B. Henley took many of the early Hattiesburg Photographs. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-42 Churches of Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1908
  Artist's drawings of eight early Hattiesburg Churches.
(Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-43

Baptism in Gordon’s Creek

  4 X 7 B&W ca. 1908
  Baptism performed by Rev. A. L. O’Briant of Immanuel Baptist Church, in Gordon’s Creek. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-44 Immanuel Baptist Church Meeting
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1908
  A large tent shades hundreds of people attending a service. Immanuel Baptist Church, organized in 1907, met in this tent at the corner of Arledge Street and Magnolia Avenue until the first building was constructed in 1909. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-45 Early Hattiesburg School Buildings
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1910
  Artist's drawings of five early Hattiesburg Schools. Featured are Court Street, Fourth Ward, Hardy Street, Main Street and Third Ward Schools. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-46 Baseball Park
  5 X 7 B&W ca. early 1900s
  Baseball park located near site of the present day Willmut Gas & Oil Company on South Main Street. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-47 Thomas James Williams
  5 X 7 B&W ca.1903-1907
  Thomas James Williams served as a Hattiesburg policeman from 1903-1907. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-48 Hattiesburg Fire Department
  5 X 7 B&W 1909
  A large number of uniformed firemen pose in the street with their horse-drawn carriages. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-49 Ralph Lewis and Helpers with Ice Wagon
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1914
  One adult African-American male and two African-American adolescent males, with a horse-drawn Hattiesburg Ice & Coal Company wagon in the street of an upper class residential area. The adult male is identified as Ralph "Rab" Lewis. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-50

Ross Building

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1900
  Photo of a brick structure known as the Ross Building. A sign indicated “Drugs & Medicines” could be found within. Several well-dressed males stand around the entrance. This building was located on the corner of Front and Short Streets. It burned in about 1900. (Box 1, Folder 5)
   
M246-51 Dr. John Gillis
  5 X 7 B&W ca. late 1800s
  Formal portrait of Dr. John Gillis, Hattiesburg’s first physician, who began his practice in 1882, and opened an office on West Front Street in 1884. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-52 Hattiesburg Hospital
  5 ½ X 6 ½ B&W ca. 1908-1913
  Photo of the Hattiesburg Hospital (later, the Methodist Hospital) with doctors and nurses standing in the entrance. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-53 Office of Sullivan and Tally, Attorneys-at-Law
  3 ½ X 4 ½, 8 X 10 B&W ca. early 1900s
  Interior view of the Sullivan and Tally law office. Pictured are Daniel E. Sullivan (left), John R. Tally, and Miss Ida Cowart. The office was in the Elks Building on Main Street. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-54 Hattiesburg Hospital
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1908
  Doctors, nurses, military personnel, and patients outside tents on the grounds of the Hattiesburg Hospital after the 1908 Purvis tornado.
(Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-55

South Mississippi Infirmary

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1905
  Front view of the South Mississippi Infirmary on Walnut Street. The facility was owned and operated by Dr.W.W. Crawford. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-56 Dr. T. E. Ross, Sr.
  4 X 6 B&W ca. late 1800s - early 1900s
  Formal Portrait of Dr. Theophilus Erskine "T. E." Ross, Sr., owner of the Ross Building. Dr. Ross practiced medicine in Hattiesburg from 1892-1935. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-57 Hattiesburg Physicians
  3 X 4½ B&W ca. 1908
  Photo of twenty physicians posed together in front of tents, probably on the grounds of Hattiesburg Hospital after the 1908 Purvis Tornado. Several of the physicians are identified on page 55 of Hattiesburg: A Pictorial History. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-58 Hattiesburg Hospital
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1915
  Front view of the Hattiesburg Hospital at the end of Bay street. The X-ray and Dispensary Department is pictured next door. (Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-59 Bay Street Looking North from Hattiesburg Hospital
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1910-1920
  Two early model automobiles are parked in the foreground of this image.
(Box 1, Folder 6)
   
M246-60 Quint Orr at the Wheel of his Stanley Steamer
  3 X 4 ½, 8 X 10 B&W ca. 1915
  Quint Orr and passenger pose on Railroad Street in his Stanley Steamer automobile, while spectators with a bicycle and a horse-drawn wagon look on. This was one of the first automobiles in Hattiesburg. (Box1, Folder 6)
   
M246-61 South Bay Street with Trolley Car Line
  5 X 7 B&W ca. early 1900s
  South Bay Street featuring trolley car in operation next to horse-drawn buggies. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-62

Looking North on Bay Street

  5 X 7 B&W ca. early 1915-1920
  Imposing homes line both sides of Bay Street. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-63

McLeod and Tatum Homes

  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  Residential section of North Main Street, showing the John A. McLeod and W. S. F. Tatum mansions. The McLeod home is on the left, and the Tatum home is on the right. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-64 Carter Building
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1910
  Exterior of the six-story Carter Building on the corner of Main and Front Streets in downtown Hattiesburg. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-65

West Pine Street

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1915
  In this view of West Pine Street, Trinity Episcopal Church is on the left, and the Emmett McInnis Home is on the right. (Box 1,Folder 7)
   
M246-66 Advertisement for Sale of Land
  5 X 7 B&W 1912
  An advertisement for the sale of J. J. Newman Lumber Company land at $10 per acre. The ad was produced by E. A. Cummings & Company of Chicago. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-67 Captain William Harris Hardy
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1903
  Formal portrait of Captain William Harris Hardy, founder of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-68 Oliver Hazzard Perry Jones
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1880s
  Formal portrait of Oliver Hazzard Perry Jones, first mayor of Hattiesburg. He served from 1884-1885. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-69 J. P. Carter
  Negative only B&W ca. early 1900s
  Formal portrait of Captain J. P. Carter, former Lt. Governor of Mississippi and Second President of The National Bank of Commerce in Hattiesburg. (Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 7; Negative in Box 4).
   
M246-70 J. D. Donald
  5 X 7, 4 X 5 B&W ca. early 1900s
  Formal portrait of Dr. J. D. Donald, Mayor of Hattiesburg from 1907-1911. Dr. Donald was one of Hattiesburg's early physicians. In Hattiesburg: A Pictorial History, page 63, Dr. Donald's initials were inadvertently reversed. (Box 1, Folder 7)
   
M246-71

W. S. F. Tatum

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1920s
  Formal Portrait of W. S. F. (Willie Sion Franklin) Tatum, mayor of Hattiesburg from 1922-1925, and 1929-1937. Mr. Tatum was also the owner of Tatum Lumber Company.
(Image and Oversize Negative in Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-72 Construction of The Emmett McInnis Home
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1911
  Photo of the Emmett McInnis house under construction on the corner of Pine Street and First Avenue. Eleven workers are posed in front.
(Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-73 William M. Duke, John B. Duke, and Friends
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1920s
  William M. Duke (at left, on running board), John B. Duke (standing with hand on car), and three unidentified friends posed outside their early model automobile on a tree-lined dirt road. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-74 General Leonard Wood and Congressman Byron "Pat" Harrison
  5 X 7 B&W July 2, 1917
  General Wood and Congressman Harrison stand with a crowd of people during a visit to Hattiesburg, Mississippi. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-75 Accident on South Main Street in Hattiesburg
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1926
  This photo shows South Main Street busy with streetcar and automobile activity. Across the bridge on the right is a truck that has been involved in an accident. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-76

Miss Elbert Cooper with a Model "T" Ford

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1920s
  Miss Elbert Cooper sttempts to crank a Model "T" Ford in the street of an upscale residential area. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-77 J. J. Newman Lumber Company Employees
  5 X 7 B&W 1917
  Dozens of Caucasian and African-American employees pose in front of a Newman Lumber Company building. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-78 Hattiesburg High School Baseball Team
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1917
  Team members are posed with their equipment. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-79 S. H. Kress Store
  5 X 7 B&W 1915
  Sales clerks pose inside the S. H. Kress Store on Main Street in downtown Hattiesburg. Third from right is Ester Lee Camp, and fourth from right is Pearl Hardin Bundy. (Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-80 Curry Brothers Grocery
  5 X 7 B&W 1921
  Interior of Curry Brothers Grocery, located on the corner of West Pine and Hemphill Streets. It was owned by Charles Frank Curry, Sr.
(Box 1, Folder 8)
   
M246-81 Public Health Service: Dr. Sweet and Nurse
  5 X 7 B&W 1918
  Dr. Sweet and a nurse from the Public Health Service at work during the influenza epidemic of 1918. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-82 Dental Hygiene Class
  5 X 7, 6 X 7 ½ B&W 1918-19
  Dental hygiene is demonstrated for first and second graders in Hattiesburg by an unidentified Red Cross Nurse. Miss Kate Brown, the teacher, is on the extreme left in the back row. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-83 Train Arriving at Camp Shelby
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Onlookers watch as a train pulls in to Camp Shelby during World War I.
(Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-84 Camp Shelby Train
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Train stopped at Camp Shelby where several passengers await.
(Box 1, Folder 9)
   

M246-85

Harry Neal with Children of Dr. L. B. Hudson

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1919
  The five children of Dr. L. B. Hudson pose with Harry Neal on the back of an automobile shortly after WWI. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-86

First Airplane to Land at Camp Shelby

  5 X 7 B&W 1917
  Several uniformed men surround the first airplane to land at Camp Shelby, in 1917. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-87 Guards on Leaf River Bridge
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Guards from Camp Shelby posted at the railroad bridge over Leaf River to protect it from sabotage during WWI. Several young boys are in the foreground of the image. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-88 Camp Shelby Tent Housing
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Tent housing at Camp Shelby during WWI. Several African American women and children are pictured among the tents. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-89 Spraying for Mosquitoes
  5 X 7 B&W ca. early 1900s
  African-American men spray chemicals into a ditch. Several nearby buildings appear to be unoccupied. (Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-90

Mammoth Springs Hotel

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1910
  Photo of hotel at Mammoth Springs, near Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Pictured are a large two-story hotel with porch and balcony, and one cottage. The structures burned down ca. 1915 and were never rebuilt.
(Box 1, Folder 9)
   
M246-91 Panoramic View of Tents at Camp Shelby
  3 ½ X 15 B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Panoramic view of row after row of tents at Camp Shelby.
(Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-92 Rows of Soldiers March at Camp Shelby
  Negative Only B&W ca. 1917-1919
  Panoramic view of soldiers marching at Camp Shelby during WWI.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 10; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-93 152nd Infantry at Camp Shelby
  5 X 7 B&W November 1917
  Members of the 152nd Infantry during World War I. Some are on horseback and others are on foot. (Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-94 Celebrating the End of World War I
  6 X 18 B&W 1919
  A huge crowd of Hattiesburg citizens gathered in the Southern Railway area around Main and Newman Streets to celebrate the end of the war.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 10; Oversize photo in mapcase.)
   
M246-95 Hattiesburg Coca-Cola Bottling Company
  5 X 7, 8 X 10 B&W 1920s
  Photo of Hattiesburg Coca-Cola Bottling Company on Mobile Street with several automobiles, horse-drawn wagons, and carriages outside.
(Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-96 Hardy Street School
  6 X 7 B&W 1920
  Photo of the large, brick Hardy Street School with dozens of students and teachers posed on the porch, steps, and balcony. The school later became Camp School. (Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-97 Hattiesburg High School Football Team
  5 X 7 B&W 1922
  Hattiesburg High School football team of 1922 in formation to center the ball. The team was declared a co-holder of the state championship by Mississippi sports editors. Other co-holders were Laurel and Meridian. (Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-98 Komp Manufacturing Company
  5 X 7 B&W 1924
  Two workers inside the Komp Manufacturing Company, which manufactured parts for lumber mills. The workers are master machinist, G. H. McElhaney, and a Mr. Donald. (Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-99 Enterprise Foundry
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1920s
  Sixteen employees posed outside the Enterprise Foundry on East Second Street. Included in the photo are“Dad” Buzzle (back row, left), Tory Harper (back row, 4th from left), and E. J. Stewart (front row, 2nd from left). (Box 1, Folder 10)
   
M246-100 Barron Motor Company
  Negative only B&W ca. 1920s
  Employees pose with new Ford automobiles in front of Barron Motors. A lone horse and wagon can be seen in the distance.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 10; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-101 H. E. Bro Auto Accessory Store
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1920s
  Interior view of the H.E. Bro Auto Accessory Store on East Pine Street. Stanford Gunn, Sr., Lamar Bro, Eli Bro, and Peter Bro are in the store. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-102 Overstreet Veneer Company
  3 ½ X 5 B&W ca. late 1920s
  Overstreet Veneer Company on 7th Street, was owned by James H. Overstreet, George Calhoun, & Robert McCaughey. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-103 Hulett Undertaking Company
  3 ½ X 5 B&W 1920
  The Hulett Undertaking Company was located on the corner of Eaton and Forrest Streets. When the company moved to Bay Street, this building was converted to a Sinclair service station. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-104 Sinclair Service Station
  3 ½ X 5 B&W ca. 1930s
  Located on the corner of Eaton and Forrest Streets, this site was formerly occupied by Hulett Undertaking Company. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-105 Dedication of the Hattiesburg Airport
  5 X 7 B&W September 23, 1930
  A large group of well-dressed citizens for the dedication of the Hattiesburg Airport, “Mississippi’s Finest Harbor of the Sky.”
(Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-106 Lakeview Park
  5 X 7 B&W Undated
  This view of the park features the lake, a series of arched footbridges, and tree-shaded buildings in the background. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-107 Mrs. Richard Turner, Mrs. Frank Tatum Sr., and Mrs. Shelby Pickett at Lakeview Park
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1930s
  Three prominent Hattiesburg ladies are standing on one of the footbridges at Lakeview Park, which was a popular recreational spot prior to World War II. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-108 W. L. Stewart Sitting in a Goat-Drawn Wagon
  Negative only B&W 1926
  W.L. Stewart had his picture taken in 1926 by a travelling photographer who supplied the hat and jacket he is wearing, as well as the goat and wagon. (Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 11; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-109 Saenger Theatre
  6 ½ X 10 B&W 1931
  Goodyear Tire Exhibit: A huge Goodyear tire is attached to the rear of a car parked in front of the Saenger Theatre in downtown Hattiesburg.
(Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-110 Three Men with a Log Truck
  5 X 7 B&W 1936
  Log truck loaded with three huge logs parked near the Turner and Sons Building. The man standing on the left is L. C. P. Mason, and an unidentified man is standing beside him. Obie Mason is in the driver's seat. (Box 1, Folder 11)
   
M246-111 Tom Day’s Barber Shop
  5 X 7 B&W 1930s
  Business was booming at Tom Day’s Barber Shop on Front Street when this photo was taken. (Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-112

Mississippi Central Railroad Baseball Team

  5 X 7 B&W 1926
  YMCA Twilight Baseball League, Mississippi Central Railroad Team, 1926. Pictured are: (back row) Dillard Hill, Kenneth Rawls, Smokie Harrington, Carl Wilder, Roy Ruble, Charlie Burks, and Kermit Massengale (front row) Francis Doherty, James Harrington, Paul Tally, Norman Alexander, and Raymond Dunigan. (Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-113 YMCA Gym Class
  Negative Only B&W 1937
  Large group of young boys pose in gym suits. Several are holding balls.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 12; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-114

YMCA State Junior Basketball Champions

  5 X 7 B&W 1939
  State Champions, YMCA Junior Basketball (125 lbs. or under, 16 years of age or less), 1939. They are identified as: (front) John McLain, Jr. and Cecil Jones, (middle) Milton Evans, Pat Howell, Roland Heidelberg, and Claude Pittman, Jr., (back row) Leslie Sessions, Jack Gandy, and Jack Oden. Jack Gandy was YMCA director for many years. (Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-115 Destroying Moonshine Whiskey
  5 X 7 B&W 1939
  Hattiesburg Police officer Carl Autry and a prisoner pose in front of several barrels, bottles, and jugs of moonshine that are being destroyed. (Box 1, Folder 12)
   

M246-116

YMCA Teams of the Friendly Indian League

  Negative Only B&W 1935
  Six teams of youngsters who competed in the YMCA’s Friendly Indian League in the summer of 1935.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 12; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-117 Camp Shelby: Second Avenue
  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  This view of Second Avenue at Camp Shelby features wooden buildings and tents, with a lone soldier walking down the street. (Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-118 Camp Shelby: A Company Street
  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  Soldiers stand at attention in front of tents at Camp Shelby.
(Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-119

Camp Shelby: Aerial View

  5 X 7 B&W 1941
  Aerial view of the “progress of construction” at Camp Shelby.
(Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-120 Soldier and His Girlfriend
  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  Unidentified soldier with his arm around a young woman.
(Box 1, Folder 12)
   
M246-121 Soldiers at the First Baptist Church Service Center
  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  Nine unidentified soldiers pose beside the First Baptist Church Service Center in Hattiesburg during WWII. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-122

Hostesses at the First Baptist Church Service Center

  5 X 7, 7 X 9 B&W June, 1943
  Four young women are posed in front of the Service Center.
(Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-123 Dance for Soldiers at USM
  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1943-44
  Soldiers in uniform dancing with girls in formal gowns at the University of Southern Mississippi. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-124

Red Cross Parade

  8 X 10 B&W Spring, 1943
  Marching Band in Red Cross Parade on Main Street in downtown Hattiesburg. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-125 Sixth War Bonds Parade
  8 X 10 B&W December 7, 1944
  School children marching with “Buy War Bonds” banners in the Sixth War Bonds parade on Main Street in downtown Hattiesburg.
(Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-126 Hattiesburg Police Officers
  5 X 7 B&W 1942
  Police officers who attended the 1942 FBI War Traffic and Civil Defense School are posed on the steps of City Hall. Pictured are: E.D. Boone, Ray Leg, Chief M.M. Little, Doyle Harvison, Hugh Herring, M.L. Davis, and A.J. Combs. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-127

Komp Equipment Company During WWII

  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  Women manufacturing ammunition at Komp Equipment Company in Hattiesburg. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-128 Camp Shelby: German POW Cartoon
  5 X 7 ½ B&W 1940s
  Inspektion in Sicht!”: A cartoon showing German prisoners of war cleaning a military camp. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-129 German POWs at Camp Shelby During WWII
  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  German prisoners of war sit on the outside steps of their quarters at Camp Shelby. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-130

German POW Orchestra in Concert

  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  German prisoners of war perform an outdoor concert at Camp Shelby.
A lookout tower is in the background. (Box 1, Folder 13)
   
M246-131

Eureka High School Basketball Team

  5 X 7 B&W 1941
  This team won the State Basketball Championship in 1941. The team is pictured in uniform on the basketball court. At that time, Eureka was an all African-American school. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-132 Eureka High School Football Team
  5 X 7 B&W 1941
  The Eureka High School football team was undefeated in 1941. They are posed in uniform outside the school. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-133 Camp Shelby Public Relations Officer, Major Casteel
  5 X 7, 8 X 10 B&W 1940s
  Major Casteel stands on a platform to speak to a Hattiesburg audience. Among those seated on the platform are (l-r): Mr. N. R. Burger, Mayor George M. Calhoun, and Rev. J. H. Ratcliff (fourth from right)
(Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-134 Human Relations Committee
  5 X 7, 8 X 10 B&W 1940s
  The purpose of the Human Relations Committee was to promote voting rights and media use of titles when identifying African American citizens. Included in the photo are: (l-r, front row) Mrs. A. N. Burger, Dr. Luther Smith, Dr. A. N. Dent, Percy Abrams, and Dr. A. N. Jackson; (second Row) Mrs. Florine Lane, Mrs. S. K. Triggs, Paul Weston, and the Rev. Mr. Thorton; (top row) Mrs. Abernice Newman, Mrs. Rubye Bell, Mrs. Brookie Young, Rev. J. H. Ratcliff, and N. R. Burger. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-135

Forrest County Health Center

  5 X 7 B&W 1940s
  Doctors and nurses connected with the Forrest County Health Center during WWII posed outside the Center. Included are (bottom row, l-r): Dr. Miller, Mrs. Bailey, Dr. Blackwelder, Mrs. Norris, and a camp Shelby health officer; (top row, l-r): Dr. Luther Smith, Dr. Brown, Dr. Love, Dr. Crain, and Dr. Charles W. Smith. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-136

Komp Equipment Company During WWII

  6 X 6 ½ B&W 1940s
  Two unidentified women stand at machines making .50 caliber ammunition at Komp Equipment Company. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-137

Homecoming Parade on Main Street

  Negative only B&W 1950s
  Large crowd near the Golden Rule Bargain House on Main Street views a “Sail to Victory” float during a 1950s Mississippi Southern College Homecoming parade. (Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 14; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-138

First National Bank

  5 X 7 B&W 1945
  Front façade of the First National Bank on Main Street, with bank employees, officers, and directors posed outside the front entrance.
(Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-139 Travelers Aid Office
  8 X 10 B&W 1946
  Travelers' Aid agent, Mrs. T.W. Burdette, assists a family in need.
(Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-140

Service Station

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1940s
  Exterior view of United Oil Corporation service station located on the corner of Market and Batson Streets. (Box 1, Folder 14)
   
M246-141 Hattiesburg Junior High School Homecoming Court
  5 X 7 B&W 1947
  Included in the photo are: (l-r) Martha Barron, unidentified young man, Jane Carol Yelverton, Gene Allen, Sara Ellen Kamper, and Walter Rhian. (Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-142 Hattiesburg Chamber of Commerce Directors
  5 X 7 B&W 1947
  Directors are identified on the back of the photograph. (Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-143 First Police Banquet
  5 X 7 B&W 1947
  Members of the Hattiesburg Police Department and their wives enjoy their first banquet. (Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-144 Pepsi Cola Strike
  8 X 10 B&W ca. 1940s - 1950s
  Two roadside picketers wearing signs reading “Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company UNFAIR to organized labor.” (Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-145 Bell Telephone Strike
  8 X 10 B&W ca. 1950s
  A turtle carries a sign that reads “I am almost as slow as Bell System's wage offer.” (Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-146

Hat Day at Donavan-Lane

  5 X 7 B&W ca. 1950s
  Nine gentlemen sport hats at Donavan-Lane men's store in downtown Hattiesburg. The men are identified on back of the photograph.
(Box 1, Folder 15)
   
M246-147

Snow-Covered University of Southern Mississippi Campus

  Negative Only B&W 1948
  Aerial view of the USM campus after the 1948 snow fall. A positive image of this photo is available in Archives Record Group 2: PC 2127.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 15; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-148 Temporary Classrooms at USM
  Negative only B&W ca. 1947
  After World War II, the University of Southern Mississippi used army surplus buildings as temporary classrooms to accommodate the influx of new and returning students. A positive image of this photo is available in Archives Record Group 2: PC2409.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 15; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-149 Married Student Housing at USM: Veteran’s Village
  Negative only B&W ca. 1947
  Prefabricated units comprised USM's "Veterans' Village" after WWII. A positive image of this photo is available in Archives Record Group 2: PC2408 (Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 15; negative in Box 4)
   
M246-150

Street Car to USM

  Negative only B&W 1915
  This streetcar ran from the intersection of Pine and Main Streets to Mississippi Normal College (now USM). Students pictured from left to right are: Alberta Powe, Jeannette McCormick, Velma Morrison, Janie Sullivan, and Mabel Mixon. A positive image of this photo is available in Archives Record Group 2: PC 2283.
(Photocopy in Box 1, Folder 15; negative in Box 4)





 


Created by: Brooke Roberts

Prepared and maintained by
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries Special Collections
http://www.lib.usm.edu/spcol/index.php
118 College Drive #5148   Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148

Please send comments or questions to Ask-a-Librarian
Revised: August 21, 2003