The University of Southern Mississippi -- McCain Library and Archives
Historical Manuscripts Home
Alphabetical List of All Collections | Collections Listed By Subject


Collection Title: Camp (David A.) Letters

Collection Number: M70

Dates: August 5, 1862 - April 22, 1863

Volume: 8 items

Provenance: Donated by Miss Bessie Jenkins, December 13, 1983.

Copyright: This collection may be protected from photocopying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Biographical/Historical Sketch:

David A. Camp (1827- ?) was mustered into Confederate Service on May 14, 1862, and was elected a captain in Company D of the 16th Battalion of Georgia Calvary. This unit, also called the Georgia Partisan Rangers, was stationed in eastern Tennessee and northern Georgia during the fall and winter of 1862-63. In September 1863, Camp was wounded at Limestone, Tennessee, and his service record indicated that on November 9, 1864, he retired from his unit, which had been redesignated the 13th Regiment of Georgia Calvary effective May 2, 1864, by special order No. 12.

On March 3, 1865, Camp was listed on a register of commissioned officers of the invalid corp, and he was assigned to duty on March 9, 1865, with the Reserve Forces of the state of Georgia.

A resident of Jackson County, Georgia, David A. Camp and his wife Anna (1843- ?) were the parents of Herbert A. Camp (1859-1921), one of the founders of Lumberton, Mississippi.

Scope and Content:

This collection consists of seven letters, dated from August 5, 1862 to April 22, 1863, from David A. Camp, a captain in the Confederate Army, to his wife Anna. Also included in this collection is a copy of a three-page manuscript history of Lumberton, Mississippi.

Of particular interest among the letters are the ones dated September 27, 1862 and April 22, 1863. The first of these contains an account of Camp meeting with several soldiers who had been captured and then paroled by Union troops. The second letter discusses the results of an election for officers of a new company. All of the letters contain information about the movement of the 16th Georgia Battalion Partisan Rangers from the Knoxville, Tennessee area into the Cumberland Gap area and then into northern Georgia. Mixed in with these reports of camp life and troop movements is a frequently expressed desire to see home.

The three-page history of Lumberton describes the founding of several Lumberton businesses and schools. It was written sometime in the mid-twentieth century by an unknown author.


Created by: Bobs M. Tusa
Prepared and maintained by
The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries Special Collections
http://www.lib.usm.edu/spcol/index.php
118 College Drive #5148   Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148

Please send comments or questions to Ask-a-Librarian
Revised: November 9, 2004